The Korg D1 digital piano is a super-slim, great-sounding stage piano, available in both black and a new white color variation. This modern digital piano packs 30 sounds, a pedal, and music rest. The good thing about the D1 is that it’s well streamlined and combines a great feel, quality sound, and excellent portability. It’s a piano suitable to use either at home, in the studio, or on live stage performances.
It’s safe to say that the Korg D1 offers you the playing feel of a grand piano. Regardless of where you’re playing this piano – whether at home or on stage, it delivers the best playing experience and helps you have fun in the process. In our review, we’ll explore the features, pros, and cons of this piano.
Features of the Korg D1 Digital Piano
Korg is famous for manufacturing high-quality musical instruments. The Korg D1 digital piano is no exception because it doesn’t disappoint in terms of features. It packs a wide range of features that are beneficial to the more serious player. Let’s dive in and discuss some of these features.
- 88-key (A0-C8) Real Weighted Hammer Action (RH3) Keyboard
- Touch control: 5 types
- Pitch: Transpose, Fine-tuning
- Temperament: 9 types
- Stereo CPM
- 120 Maximum notes on polyphony
- Sounds: 30 (10 x 3 Banks)
- Chorus (3 levels each)
- Time Signature
- Sound and volume controls
- Half-pedaling supported
- AC adaptor
- Music rest
- Damper pedal
Dimensions: 52.24” W x 10.35” D x 5.04” H (without music stand)
Total weight: 35.27 pounds or 16 kg (including stand)
Korg D1 Digital Piano Design
The main objective of the Korg D1 digital piano is to provide you with a slim and compact design. This results in having a top-class keyboard that delivers the playing feel and experience of a grand piano. The piano is highly portable, with a high-quality and appealing keybed that easily complements your décor. With the elegant white design of the D1, you’ll get to stand out on any stage.
But, either color variation of the Korg D1 is good depending on where you want to keep the piano. Although the piano features a full-fledged weighted keybed, it’s highly mobile, which makes it easy to carry anywhere in its custom-made SC-D1 soft case (sold separately). You can use it with the ST-SV1 stand (sold separately) which offers a great-looking setup on stage or even in your home.
The Korg D1 digital piano features a real weighted hammer action 3 (RH3) keyboard, which reproduces the touch of a grand piano. The low notes are heavier and the action becomes lighter as you play toward the higher notes.
Thanks to the natural-feeling touch and weight that the piano keyboard offers, you’ll have fun playing and even want to continue playing for hours. The keyboard also includes 5 types of touch control, 9 types of temperament, and transpose and fine-tuning pitch.
ALSO READ: Korg XE20 Digital Piano Review
The D1 features 30 richly expressive sounds, which include a variety of piano sounds that cover genres like jazz, pop, and classical, and also organ, electric piano, as well as clavi sounds that come in handy on stage. There are also sounds like acoustic guitar, strings, and vibraphone. Therefore, the piano offers rich sounds geared for realism and serious electric piano sounds.
To achieve acoustic piano sounds, the sound tends to switch between 4 piano samples, although it will depend on the dynamic of your playing. On the other hand, electric piano sounds reproduce the tonal differences in response to your playing touch and also the key-off noise. Organ sounds include 6 versatile sounds that range from jazz or rock to solemn pipe organ tones.
The Korg D1 digital piano also offers you external connection jacks that come in handy on stage. There is standard-sized LINE OUT jacks that you can use to connect directly to amplified speakers to other recording equipment. Additionally, you’ll find MIDI IN/OUT connectors that enable you to connect via the MIDI interface to your computer and use the piano as a MIDI keyboard. You can even use the D1 as a piano sound module.
Extra Features of the Korg D1 Digital Piano
The Korg D1 digital piano also includes some extra features that are worth noting. They include:
- The damper resonance – The Concert Piano, Jazz Piano, and Grand Piano sounds reproduce damper resonance, which realistically simulates the spacious resonance produced by the sympathetic vibration of the strings. This happens when you hold down the damper pedal of an acoustic piano.
- Key-off simulation – The Korg D1 digital piano also simulates sound decay when you remove your finger off a key and the way your playing technique affects the string resonance, which response to staccato or legato in a natural manner. Therefore, this helps to improve your performance.
- Music rest and dedicated pedal – It comes with an indispensable music rest ideal for stage performances, which is pretty easy to attach to the piano. It also includes a compact-sized damper pedal that offers portability.
Who Is the Korg D1 Digital Piano For?
The Korg D1 digital piano is simply for any pianist out there looking for a piano that makes it easier for them to play a wide variety of music genres. The piano allows you to play classical, jazz, funk, or rock conveniently, either in your practice room or on stage. What’s more, the D1 is a good option to consider because of its portable and sound features.
- 88-key Real Weighted Hammer Action 3 (RH3) Keyboard.
- It comes with a wide range of onboard effects and 30 sounds to explore.
- The piano is portable, user-friendly, and has an excellent design.
- Two finish options to choose from to help you complement your décor appropriately.
- Several connectivity options enable you to use the piano with external devices.
- Some buyers have reported the piano arrived with a few things broken.
- The piano may encounter issues after using it for a while.
The Korg D1 digital piano has its drawbacks as well, which are important to familiarize yourself with first before buying. But, they are not too serious if you understand how to properly use a digital piano. Overall, I would rate this piano as a good option for any player who’s into exploring a wide range of music genres. That’s because the D1 will help you do much more than just play music.
Check out the following Korg speakers for some variety:
Korg XE20 Digital Piano – A Fantastic Choice for Modern Pianists
Korg PA700 Digital Piano – Key Features and Benefits
Korg SV-1 73BK Digital Piano Review
Korg PA4X Professional Arranger – The Perfect Musical Partner