The Korg PA4X professional arranger is the company’s flagship Professional Arranger that propels every keyboard performance to the highest level of excellence. The PA4X continues Korg’s tradition with incredible refinements to every aspect of the sound quality. It also features enhanced performance capabilities. Simply put, the Korg PA4X is more than just a keyboard – it’s your backup band.
The piano plays a significant role in your performance and also acts as your accompanist, musical director, soundman, and engineer. The good thing about using this modern musical instrument is that you always get to be in charge, which is something all of us musicians love. The Professional Arranger is suitable for composing, recording, and combo use. It also includes intuitive features that come to life in the hands of the solo keyboard performer and entertainer.
Features of the Korg PA4X Professional Arranger
The Korg PA4X professional arranger is a result of the company’s improvements on their industry-leading Professional Arranger series. It comes with a wide range of features that make it suitable to use for either practice or live stage performances. Let’s have a look at all these features to help you understand better.
- PA4X 61: 61 keys (C2 – C7)
- PA4X 76: 76 keys (E1 – G7)
- Semi-weighted keys with Velocity and Aftertouch
- Display: 7” wide capacitive color TouchView TFT display
- Upgraded operating system
- Multitasking, load while play feature
- EDS-X (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-eXpanded)
- Filters with Resonance – Three-band EQ for each track
- 128 voices
- 128 oscillators
- Accompaniment/song: 4 insert effects, 3 master effects (148 types)
- Keyboard tracks: 1 insert effect; 2 master effects (148 types)
- Final mastering effects: Waves Audio Ltd. MAXX Suite (Includes MaxxEQ, MaxxBass), MaxxTrebble, MaxxStereo, MaxxVolume.
Voice Processor Technology by TC Helicon:
- Four-part harmonizer
- Reverb, delay, filter
- HardTune, Pitch correction
- Compressor, EQ, Gate (Adaptive Mic Setting on the Mic input)
- More than 1,900 factory sounds including multilayer Stereo Piano with damper/body resonance.
- GM/XG sound sets and more than 110 Drumkits * including Ambient Drums
- User area: 768 sounds, 384 Drumkits
- Digital Drawbars: 9 footages, percussion, key on/off, leakage (effect section includes rotary speaker).
- Defined Nuance Control (DNC) Technology
- Natural Ambience Drums Sound
- Full Sounds/Drumkits editing
Keyboard Set Library:
- Memorize keyboard sounds settings
- Factory: More than 500 factory keyboard sets, freely recon-figurable
- User: 1,056 locations, including user and direct banks
- “My Setting” special keyboard set
- Master Volume
- Mic presets
- Sound select and ON/OFF; Record
- Damper Pedal (support half-pedaling with optional DS-1H pedal)
- Assignable pedal/switch
- EC5 multi-switch pedal
- AC power cable
- Music stand
- PA4X 61: 46.93” W x 14.35” D x 4.94” H
- PA4X 76: 38.58” W x 14.35” D x 4.94” H
- PA4X 61: 30.64 pounds (13.9 kg)
- PA4X 76: 35.93 pounds (16.3 kg)
Korg PA4X Professional Arranger Design
The Korg PA4X professional arranger features an elegant, streamlined aluminum cabinet that effortlessly complements your décor. The appealing look of the instrument makes it ideal to place anywhere in your home – even if you have a small apartment. The piano measures approximately 46.93” W x 14.35” D x 4.94” H for the 61-key, and 38.58” W x 14.35” D x 4.94” H for the 76-key option.
It also weighs approximately 30.64 pounds (13.9 kg) for the 61-key and 35.93 pounds (16.3 kg) for the 76-key option. The weight of either the 61-key or the 76-key keyboard makes it suitable to carry it anywhere you’re going. Its weight and design make it ideal for use either at home, in the studio, or on stage.
The PA4X features a slim, powerful, and user-friendly keyboard. Both the PA4X 61-key and PA4X 76-key have a naturally responsive and semi-weighted keybed that offers velocity and aftertouch sensitivity. The keyboard has a dynamic response that you can adjust to accommodate any playing technique and any level of playing. Therefore, whether you’re a hobbyist or a professional player, this musical instrument will serve you right.
The optimization of the main panel helps to ensure all controls are positioned ergonomically and intuitively located to make every performance feel smooth and natural. The keyboard also features a new capacitive TouchView display, which is big, bright, and bold. The display hosts a redesigned graphical interface that’s easier to read even under demanding lighting environments.
Korg is a company known for delivering studio-quality effects on its instruments. The Korg PA4X professional arranger is no exception. It includes the best of Korg’s library. This Professional Arranger features 4 insert and Master effects that you can use for accompaniment tracks, while 1 Insert and 2 Master effects you can use for the real-time keyboard tracks. There are also more than 140 effects types available, which include reverb, delays, vintage stomp box simulations, amp and cabinet simulators, among many others.
Additionally, each track features an EQ that can be memorized in the Song Play mode. This allows your song to sound excellent in any environment. Korg also incorporates TC Helicon technology into their sound features to provide the highest possible sound quality. It comes with up to 4 realistic harmony voices, which you can easily control using the keyboard or MIDI events.
Aside from the excellent keyboard and high-quality sound, the Korg PA4X professional arranger also comes with top-notch connectivity options. It features Main Left and Right outputs and two additional assignable outputs. This makes it ideal for isolating a part for additional signal processing or feeding an external mixer. There’s also a headphone output that is conveniently located on the front panel.
The microphone input uses an XLR connector, and there’s also phantom power available. When it comes to inputs, the PA4X offers a pair of balanced ¼ inch inputs (Line 1) and a stereo 1/8 inch jack (Line 2). You can use these inputs to connect your smartphone and tablet. Other connectivity options include MIDI IN, OUT, and Thru. What’s more, there is a USB to computer (device) port. A composite video RCA has also been included to deliver the score and lyric display (or mirror the internal display) to an external mirror.
ALSO READ: Korg D1 Digital Piano Review
Extra Features of the Korg PA4X Professional Arranger
There are also plenty of additional features included in the Korg PA4X professional arranger. Check them out below.
Korg’s XDS Dual Player and Recorder feature a crossfade slider that provides non-stop entertainment. Therefore, you can load one as the other plays, and then crossfade between them or create a playlist for automatic playback. You can also play two different MP3 or MIDI files simultaneously. There’s also a Marker Function that allows direct jumps to a given position in the song.
Another additional feature you’ll find in the Korg PA4X professional arranger is the SongBook. This is quite useful for live use. It is a fully programmable and easily searchable music database. Each entry comes with all the settings you need to play a particular song. The advantage of the SongBook is that it can save and access Styles, MIDI files, MP3s, and also recall settings faster like title, genre, tempo, artist, volumes, sounds, FX settings, muted tracks, and many others.
Who Is the Korg PA4X Professional Arranger For?
The Korg PA4X professional arranger is basically for any player or musician. With its wide range of features, excellent keyboard action, and sound quality, you’ll to love this instrument. It’s also portable, efficient, and user-friendly. All these combined features make it suitable for the serious beginner and professional players.
- Semi-weighted keys with velocity sensitivity and aftertouch
- Two models to choose from; 61-key or 76-key
- It delivers excellent sound quality and features a defined nuance control
- Over 1,500 sounds including GM and XG sets
- Massive internal ROM with a renewed PCM database
- 512 user sounds and 128 user Drumkit locations with full editing features
- The keyboard is great, but it has a lousy documentation
- Build quality/hardware is not that efficient
- Volume pot might experience issues after using for a while
In terms of sound quality and unique features, the Korg PA4X professional arranger is flat-out amazing. But, you have to keep in mind that it also comes with its drawbacks. Overall, I would highly rate and recommend this piano to any player out there because it has almost everything you need. We didn’t get to talk about all the extra features but you can find more information through this link.
Check out the following Korg speakers for some variety: